Measurement of surface and internal properties of paper & board in order to predict the behavior in the converting process
Ultrasonic Tester for the Determination of Paper/Board Properties
via Measuring the Wetting and Absorption Behavior of Liquids
- Main applications:
- Impregnating process of decor paper: impregnating resin absorption by decor papers
- Printability: effect of surface sizing and surface porosity on penetration of fountain solution or oil in the offset process
- Glueability: effect of surface sizing and surface porosity on the glueability
- Coating process:
- surface sizing and surface porosity of coating base paper surfaces
- quality of coated paper (Latex filming, coating porosity, thickness of coating layer)
- Use of test and process liquids of low to medium viscosity:
- impregnating resins
- water + Isopropylalcohol mixture
- fountain solution
- automatically calculated values
- Main user:
- Producers of paper/board
- converting industry
- chemical suppliers
- machine builders
In a test cell, a paper sample is contacted with liquid. From the moment of contact, low-energy high-frequency ultrasound is transmitted through the sample in a Z-direction.
While the paper absorbs the liquid, the transmission of the ultrasound undergoes characteristic changes.
The ultrasonic signals are received by a high-sensitivity sensor for processing in the PDA.C 02 from where they are transmitted to a personal computer and displayed as an intensity - time - diagram.
From the shape of curve the following conclusions may be derived:
All quality parameters of paper and especially those surface properties which influence the wetting and absorbtion of an appropriate test liquid.
Quality parameters of liquids that may be characterized by means of a test paper.
Converting behaviour of industrial paper / paperboard grades and process fluids.
- First analytical value: approx. 8 ms after liquid contact
- Measuring frequency: 1MHz or 2MHz selectable
- Measuring results: Intensity-Time-Graph, automatically calculated values
- Test liquids: water, water + Isopropylalcohol mixture, impregnating resins, organic and anorganic liquids of low to medium viscosity
- PC software: all common operating systems
- Data structure: ASCII file
- Operating voltages: 110 V 60 Hz / 220 V 50 Hz
- Weight: approx. 15 kg